Meeting With Me
- 2013 PI, "STEM Mentorship Advancement Program", Dean Witter Foundation, ($20,000 / 1y)
- 2013-2014 PI, "Hybrid Precalculus", CSU-CCC Hybrid Model Math Consortium, ($70,000 / 1y)
- 2013 PI, "Foundational Science Coursework", S.D. Bechtel, Jr. Foundation, ($55,000 / 1y)
- 2013 co-PI, “Golden Gate STEM Alliance”, California STEM Learning Network ($50,000 / 1y).
- 2013 PI, “CA Teacher Pathway OST Activities Standards Alignment”, Growth Sector and Bechtel. ($25,000 / 1 y).
- 2012-2013 PI, "Orange Country Engineering Pathways", subcontract, Dept of Labor H1B Training Grants ($80,000 / 2y)
- 2011-2016 Co-PI on "San Francisco State Noyce Scholarship Program", NSF Noyce. ($1.200,000 / 5y)
- 2011-2014 PI, "Climate Change Scholars", NSF OEDG. ($200,000 / 3y)
- 2011-2013 PI, "Math Gateway Pilot", subcontract, S.D. Bechtel Foundation. ($72,000 / 1y)
- 2010-2013 PI, California Math Science Partnership grant with SF Unified. PRIME2 (sequel to PRIME). ($1.350,000 / 3y)
- 2009-2014 Senior Researcher on “Characteristics of Successful Programs in College Calculus”, NSF REESE ($2,000,000 / 5y)
- Past grants are listed on my Curriculum Vitae.
- My Curriculum Vitae. Lists:
- all past grant funded projects, with links to more information
- publications, many with PDF links
- presentations, some with linked talk notes
- list of supervised theses and expository papers
- service activities
Supplemental Instruction and Graduate TA Resources
Math Education Resources
Some Software and Web Sites I've Written
- Auto-Acronym. Automatic generation of acronyms from source text.
- Better File Cabinet, open-source wiki-database software. This page runs on BFC.
- LaTeX Tidy, open-source Perl hack to clean up LaTeX files
- TextMate, a great Mac OS X text editor with special features for special text (e.g. programming languages). I wrote the initial Perl and LaTeX bundles, along with various other utilities.
- Reading Old Microsoft Word 5 Files in Mac OS X. I'm so proud to have figured it out, I had to record the details.
- Unwritten Rules, an attempt to collate all those unwritten rules of various sports and activities.
Every now and then someone asks what my Erdos number is, and more rarely, what my Bacon number is. Go to Wikipedia if you need definitions. You can decide for yourself if my numbers are well-defined, as I use math education papers to calculate Erdos number and TV to calculate Bacon number. (Calculations done May 2010.)
My Erdos Number is 4: I coauthored with Diane Resek. / Diane Resek coauthored with Léon Henkin MR0366659 (51 #2906) / Léon Henkin coauthored with Alfred Tarski MR0124250 (23 #A1564) / Alfred Tarski coauthored with Paul Erdös1 MR0008249 (4,269b).
My Bacon Number is 3: When I was in the 7th grade, I was a regular member of a large kid panel on a TV show called Livewire hosted by Fred Newman. Fred Newman (I) was in Men in Black (1997) with Steve Rankin. Steve Rankin was in Trapped (2002) with Kevin Bacon.
Thus my Erdos-Bacon Number is 7.