- Invited Presenter, "SF CALL: Computing for All Levels and Learners". NSF INCLUDES Video Showcase: Envisioning Impact. http://includes2017.videohall.com. March; 20-27, 2017.
- Invited Presenter, "Surviving and Thriving in your First Course Using Active Learning Techniques", Joint Mathematics Meetings, Atlanta, GA. Jan 7, 2017.
- Invited Presenter, "Improving the Targeting of Treatment: Emerging Research on Postsecondary Math Placement Policies". Opportuniy Institute Quantitative Leap Webinar,
Video archive: http://theopportunityinstitute.org/blog/2016/5/3/upcoming-webinar-quantitative-leap-improving-the-targeting-of-treatment;, June 8 2016.
Invited Participant, "Testing and Beyond: The Future of College Math Placement in California", LearningWorks Summit. Nov 10, 2015.
Invited Participant, APLU/POD STEM Transformation Workshop, Nov 2015.
Panelist, 2015 SF Business Times Roundtable on STEM Education, Sep 18, 2015.
Speaker, “Making Practice Visible: Success in College Calculus”, Santa Clara University Colloquium, May 2014.
Speaker, “Characteristics of Successful College Calculus Programs”, NCTM Research Conference, New Orleans, LA. April 2014.
Speaker, “Educators, Equity, Enrichment: San Francisco STEM Partnerships”, Briefing for State Senator Mark Leno. San Francisco, CA. March 2014.
Panel organizer, "Engineering and Education", CSLNet STEM Summit, Sacramento, CA. February 2014
Speaker;, “The changing education of pre-service teachers in light of the Common Core.” Joint Mathematics Meetings, Baltimore, MD. January 2014
Co-presenter, “Equity, Enrichment and Education in the SF Bay Area”, California Dept of Education 1st Annual California STEM Conference, Sacramento, CA. November 2013.
Talk and Panel, San Francisco Business Times STEM Education Leadership Forum, October 2013.
Panelist, “Common Core Standards”, A New Vision for Preparing Tomorrow’s Teachers in Math, Science, and STEM, Hayward, CA. October 2013.
Lead Panelist, "STEM Education", SFSU Presidential Investiture Week. March 2013.
Talk, "Strengthening The Teacher Pipeline", CSLNet STEM Summit, San Diego, October 2012.
Panelist, "Social Justice and Teaching", SFSU Forum on Social Justice and Equity in the Academy, May 2012.
- Talk, "Calculus, Community and Change", SRI International, September 2011.
Talk, "The CSME Teacher Fellows Program", Math Science Teacher Initiative Directors Meeting, May 2011.
Talk, "Strengthening the Teacher Pipeline", SFSU Congressional Briefing, Washington, DC, March 2011
Talk, "Strengthening the Teacher Pipeline", SFSU Foundation Board meeting, February 2011
- Panelist, "Mathematics and Social Justice", MAA-Project NExT Panel Discussion, Joint Mathematics Meetings, San Francisco, CA. January 2010.
- Panelist, "Becoming a teacher of college mathematics: Video cases for novice college mathematics instructor professional development", AMS-MAA Committee on Teaching Assistants and Part-Time Instructors Panel Discussion. Joint Mathematics Meetings, San Francisco, CA. January 2010.
- "Why Do We Teach This Stuff Anyway? A Brief History of School Math", Sonoma State University Colloquium, September 2009
- Panelist, “Strategies to Support Cohorts of Future Math and Science Teachers”, California Math Council - North, Asilomar Conference, December 2008.
- Panelist, “Evaluation and Teaching Circles”, American Institute of Mathematics, June 2008.
- “Analyzing and Sharing Rich Groupworthy Problems”, CMC-North Asilomar Conference, December 2007.
- “Emerging Scholars Programs: Experiences and Principles”, San Jose State University Math Colloquium, November 2007.
- “Thinking In and Out of Contexts”, Math Education Colloquium at Sonoma State University, Spring 2007
- Talk, "College math and science performance and ethnicity: Some recent trends and ideas", National Summer Conference Integrating Science and Mathematics Education Research into Teaching, Orono, Maine, June 2006.
- Keynote speech: “Thinking About Thinking In Context”, Conference of the Alameda County Collaborative for Learning and Instruction in Mathematics, Hayward, CA. March 2006.
- Invited Talk and Panel: “Ethnicity and College Math: Some Recent Trends and Ideas”, American Association of Physics Teachers Summer Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT. August 2005
- Invited Talk and Panel: “The Faculty Member As Teacher and Scholar”, Project NExT, Mathfest, Albuquerque, NM. August 2005.
- “Research to Practice. Ethnicity and College Math: Some Recent Trends and Ideas”, Mathfest, Albuquerque, NM. August 2005.
- Keynote speech: “What Were They Thinking?! Learning, Teaching and Overlapping Communities” Conference of the Alameda County Collaborative for Learning and Instruction in Mathematics, Hayward, March 2005.
- Invited Panel of NSF CAREER Awardees, Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators, Dallas, January 2005.
- “Teaching Assistant Communities of Practice”, PMENA Working Group on Mathematics Teaching Assistant Preparation and Development Research, Toronto, Canada, October 2004.
- “Teaching Calculus with Group Work: Resources and Challenges”, California Math Council / North 46th Annual Asilomar Conference, December 2003.
- “Evaluating On-line Teacher Conversations With Statistics and Graphs” (with Megan Moore), AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science), San Francisco, June 2003.
- “Teaching Calculus With Group Work: Experiences and Research”, Math Education Colloquium, Cal Poly Pomona, May 2003.
- “Metaphors and Contexts: Students Wrestle With Rate”, Math Education Colloquium, Harvard School of Education, April 2003
- “Teaching Calculus with Group Work: Resources and Challenges”, California Math Council/North 45th Annual Asilomar Conference. December 2002.
- Math Education Colloquium at Arizona State University, November 2002
- “Metaphor as a Theory of Learning,” MAA Mathfest Research Pre-session on Research on Undergraduate Mathematics Education, Burlington, VT. Invited to be Moderator for a Plenary Panel Discussion with Rafael Nunez, Ed Dubinsky and Michelle Zandieh; July 2002.
- Math Education Colloquium at Sonoma State University, Fall 2001
- Math Education Colloquium at San Francisco State University, Spring 2001
- Math Education Colloquium at Arizona State University, Spring 2001
- Math Education Colloquium at California State University, Monterey Bay, Spring 2001
- Discussant, “Persistence, Instruction, and Coordination in the National Study of Calculus”, 2016 NCTM Research Pre-session, San Francisco, CA. April 14, 2016.
- Presenter, "ITEAMS: Integrated Technology, Engineering, Math, and Science", CA STEM Symposium, Oct 30, 2015.
“Features and Practices of Successful Calculus Programs: Insights from Case Studies at Seventeen Institutions”, Network for Academic Renewal Conference, Association of American Colleges and Universities, October 2013
"Mathematical Modeling in Context", SACNAS (Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science), San Antonio, TX. October 2013
"Building Powerful Foundational-Level Mathematics Programs" (with Carol Fry Bohlin). California Math Council / North 54th Annual Asilomar Conference. December 2011
"Free, Open, Online, Mathematics Help Forums: Experiences of Newbie Helpers" (prepared with Carla C. van de Sande, given by van de Sande). American Educational Research Association, Denver, CO. May 2011.
- "The experience of newbie helpers in a mathematics, open, online, homework help forum: Becoming part of a community of helpers."(prepared with Carla C. van de Sande, given by van de Sande). Joint Mathematics Meetings, New Orleans, LA. January 2011.
- "Partnerships Across Time and Space" and "Strengthening the University Teacher Pipeline: A Communities of Practice Perspective", Science and Mathematics Teacher Imperative of the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities, Cincinnati, OH. June 2010.
- "Supporting Cohorts of Teachers: Year Three", Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators, Irvine, CA. January 2010.
- “Revitalizing Algebra” (with Judy Kysh and Diane Resek), California Math Council / North 49th Annual Asilomar Conference, December 2006.
- “Graduate Teacher Social Networks” (with Tim Gutmann), Research on Undergraduate Mathematics Education Conference, Rutgers University, NJ. Talk, February 2006.
- “Student Use (and Misuse) of Graphs and Rates of Change in Economics” (with Victor Contini), PME/NA 2004 (Psychology of Mathematical Education, North America), Toronto. Poster, October 2004.
- “Reconsidering On-line and Live Communities of Practice,” Society for Information Technology in Teacher Education 2004, Atlanta, GA. Talk, March 2004.
- “On-line Teacher Communities: Measuring Engagement, Responsiveness and Refinement” (with Megan Moore), PME-PME/NA 2003 (Psychology of Mathematical Education, North America), Manoa, HI. Talk, July 2003.
- “Pictures of Calculus Knowledge Networks: Data and Software,” PME/NA XXIV, Athens, GA. Poster, October 2002.
- “Switching Contexts: Students Doing Calculus” MAA Mathfest Research Pre-session on Research on Undergraduate Mathematics Education, Burlington, VT. 45 min talk, July 2002.
- “A Visual Analysis of Calculus Students Talking,” ICTM2 (International Conference on Teaching of Mathematics), Crete, Greece. Poster, July 2002.
- “Investigations of the Major Conceptual Strands of First Semester Calculus: The Role of Theory in Research and Practice,” NCTM Research Presession (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics), Las Vegas, NV. Two and a half hour presentation with Marilyn Carlson and Mike Oehrtman, April 2002.
- “A Visual Analysis of Knowledge Networks: Students Discuss Calculus,” NCTM Research Presession, Las Vegas, NV. Poster and hour presentation, April 2002.
- “Calculus Students Talk: A Visual Analysis,” Joint Mathematics Meetings, San Diego, CA. Talk, January 2002.
- “On-line Math Teacher Conversations: Graphical, Statistical and Semantic Analysis,” PME/NA XXIII, Snowbird, UT. Poster, October 2001.
- “Developing A Virtual Community Of Teachers: The Effects Of Contact And On-Line Conversational Dynamics,” NARST (National Association of Research in Science Teaching) 2001 Meeting, St. Louis, MO. Talk, March 2001.
- “Mixed Metaphors: Undergraduate Language and Understanding in Calculus,” 2001 Joint Mathematics Meetings, New Orleans, LA. Talk, January 2001.
- “Developing A Virtual Community Of Teachers: The Effects Of Contact And On-Line Conversational Dynamics,” PME/NA XXII, Tucson, AZ. Poster, October 2000.
- “Mixed Metaphors: Undergraduates Do Calculus Out Loud,” PME/NA XXII, Tucson, AZ. Poster, October 2000.
- “Moving Past A-ha!: A Pilot Study on Undergraduate Understanding of Calculus,” ARUME 2000 (5th Annual Conference for Research on Undergraduate Mathematics Education), Chicago, IL. Half-hour talk with Mike Oehrtman, September 2000.
- “Building a Better File Cabinet: Virtual Resources for Teachers,” CAMT 2000 (47th Annual Conference for the Advancement of Mathematics Teaching), Houston, TX. One hour talk, July 2000.
- “A Better File Cabinet: A Web-Based Database Of Problems And Practices,” ICLS 2000 (International Conference on the Learning Sciences), University of Michigan. Software demonstration, June 2000.
- “A Web-Based Database of Problems and Practices and Real Communities of ESP Teachers and Students.” CSCL’99 (Computers Supporting Collaborative Learning), Stanford University. Software demonstration, December 1999.
- “A Web-Based Database of Problems and Practices and Real Communities of ESP Teachers and Students,” PME/NA XXI, U. Morelos, Mexico. Poster, October 1999.