Meeting With Me
- 2017-2018. co-PI. "SF Computing for All Learners and Levels" (SF CALL), NSF INCLUDES ($299,942 / 2y)
- 2016-2018. PI. "SF Bay Basic Skills Consortium", California Community Colleges Basic Skill Partnership, through Ohlone College. ($140,000 / 2y)
- 2015-2017. PI. "Silicon Valley Engineering Technical Pathways", CA Career Pathways Trust with Evergreen Community College District. ($110,000 / 2y)
- 2015-2016. PI, "Golden Gate STEM Alliance", Bayer Foundation ($27,000)
- 2015-2016. Co-PI. "Mathematics Capstone Course Resources: Preparing Secondary School Mathematics Teachers". NSF IUSE/EHR. ($250,000 / 1.5 y)
- 2015-2016. "SF Math Circle at June Jordan School", Tensor-SUMMA grant ($12,000)
- 2014-2019. Senior Personnel, SF BUILD, NIH BUILD grant ($17M / 5y).
- 2014-2017. PI, "ITEAMS", California Math Science Partnership with San Rafael City Schools, Dixie School District, Ross Valley Unified and Marin County Office of Education. ($1.5M / 3y)
- 2011-2016. Co-PI on "San Francisco State Noyce Scholarship Program", NSF Noyce. ($1,200,000 / 5y)
Past grants are listed on my Curriculum Vitae.
- My Curriculum Vitae. Lists:
- all past grant funded projects, with links to more information
- publications, many with PDF links
- presentations, some with linked talk notes
- list of supervised theses and expository papers
- service activities
Supplemental Instruction and Graduate TA Resources
Math Education Resources
Some Software and Web Sites I've Written
- Auto-Acronym. Automatic generation of acronyms from source text.
- Better File Cabinet, open-source wiki-database software. This page runs on BFC.
- LaTeX Tidy, open-source Perl hack to clean up LaTeX files
- TextMate, a great Mac OS X text editor with special features for special text (e.g. programming languages). I wrote the initial Perl and LaTeX bundles, along with various other utilities.
- Reading Old Microsoft Word 5 Files in Mac OS X. I'm so proud to have figured it out, I had to record the details.
- Unwritten Rules, an attempt to collate all those unwritten rules of various sports and activities.
Every now and then someone asks what my Erdos number is, and more rarely, what my Bacon number is. You can decide for yourself if my numbers are well-defined, as I use math education papers to calculate Erdos number and TV to calculate Bacon number. (Calculations done May 2010.)
My Erdos Number is 4: I coauthored with Diane Resek. / Diane Resek coauthored with Léon Henkin MR0366659 (51 #2906) / Léon Henkin coauthored with Alfred Tarski MR0124250 (23 #A1564) / Alfred Tarski coauthored with Paul Erdös1 MR0008249 (4,269b).
My Bacon Number is 3: When I was in the 7th grade, I was a regular member of a large kid panel on a TV show called Livewire hosted by Fred Newman. Fred Newman (I) was in Men in Black (1997) with Steve Rankin. Steve Rankin was in Trapped (2002) with Kevin Bacon.
Thus my Erdos-Bacon Number is 7.
My Black Sabbath Number is 17: Black Sabbath had member Neil Murray / Neil Murray was a member of Colosseum II / Colosseum II had member Gary Moore / Gary Moore was a member of BBM / BBM had member Ginger Baker / Ginger Baker was a member of Masters of Reality / Masters of Reality had member Victor Indrizzo / Victor Indrizzo was a member of Samiam / Samiam had member Tré Cool / Tré Cool was a member of Green Day / Green Day had member Billie Joe Armstrong / Billie Joe Armstrong was a member of Pinhead Gunpowder / Pinhead Gunpowder had member Aaron Cometbus / Aaron Cometbus was a member of Harbinger / Harbinger had member Robert Eggplant / Robert Eggplant was a member of the Hope Bombs / The Hope Bombs had member Eric Hsu.
So my Erdos-Bacon-Sabbath number is 24.